Food & Wine
A twist on devilled eggs
Only one thing makes the perfect party appetizer and picnic side – devilled eggs.
Try these creative and delicious fillings for your favourite hard-boiled snack.
For cheese and bacon eggs, you will need:
* 12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled.
* Half a cup mayonnaise.
* One tablespoon honey mustard.
* Half a teaspoon salt.
* A quarter teaspoon black pepper.
* Four strips bacon, cooked and crumbled.
* Two tablespoons grated mature Cheddar.
* Parsley, for garnish, optional.
What to do:
Halve eggs lengthwise and spoon yolks into a bowl, reserve the egg whites.
Mash yolks with fork and add mayonnaise, honey-mustard, salt and pepper. Fold in bacon and cheese.
Fill each half egg white with yolk mixture, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For Greek-style eggs, you will need:
* Six hard-boiled eggs.
* Three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
* One spring onion, finely chopped.
* One small onion, finely chopped.
* One garlic clove, finely chopped.
* One roasted red pepper.
* One chili, seeded and minced.
* Several drops of Tabasco sauce.
* Four tablespoons crumbled feta.
* Two tablespoons Greek yogurt.
What to do:
Peel the eggs carefully and cut in half lengthwise.
Scoop out the yolks into a mixing bowl.
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a medium, non-stick skillet and sauté the spring onion, onion, and garlic until soft, about six to seven minutes. Add to the yolks.
Place the red pepper in a food processor and pulse on and off until chunky but pureed. Add to the yolks. Stir in the minced chili, Tabasco sauce, feta and yogurt. Add the remaining olive oil. Mash the mixture with a fork until smooth. Alternatively, you can place everything in a food processor and pulse on and off to combine.
Fill the whites with the filling and serve.