Food & Wine
Double chocolate loaf cake
You will need:
– 175 grams softened butter, plus extra for greasing.
– 175 grams golden caster sugar.
– Three eggs.
– 140 grams self-raising flour.
– 85 grams ground almonds.
– Half a teaspoon baking powder.
– 100 ml milk.
– Four tablespoons cocoa powder.
– 50 grams plain chocolate chips or chunks.
– A few extra chunks white, plain and milk chocolate, for decorating.
What to do:
Heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 900 gram loaf tin with a long strip of baking parchment.
To make the loaf cake batter, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, flour, almonds, baking powder, milk and cocoa until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips then scrape into the tin. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden and raised.
Poke with a skewer in the centre, it should come out clean.
Cool in the tin then lift out onto a wire rack over some kitchen paper. Melt the extra chocolate chunks separately in pans over barely simmering water, or in bowls in the microwave, then use a spoon to drizzle each in turn over the cake. Leave to set before slicing.